Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Multitude of Race Reports

Since I've done 3 races since my last post (including one this morning), I figured I'd let you lovelies know how I did, and how I'm doing, and all that jazz.

Austin American-Statesman Capitol 10,000 (4/11/10):


(My dad made a point of asking me if the older gentleman on my right beat me. I'm sure he did.)

Good times had by all (or by me, at least). I ran this with some of my friends on a misty April morning, along with a crowd of about 30,000 people (gotta love the Austin running community!). We all signed up for the untimed, and did several segments of run/walking. Some of my favorite sights were the police academy running block and the Chinese dragon (that apparently ran the entire race together--this happens to be a big dress up/party race). We finished together in about 1 hour 35 minutes, and then went for pancakes (pancakes!!!).

Texas Round-Up 10K (4/24/10):

Maintaining my consistency in taking fairly bad race photos--and seemingly running with my eyes closed.

There was a torrential, but brief, rainstorm/cold front the night before, but it dawned to be a lovely, cool Saturday morning. I started off fairly slow (somewhat because of the large number of strollers and walking groups), and was pretty glad when the 5K course split off. This also meant that fewer people would see my panting face on the wicked hills to come, the wicked-est of these being a nearly-vertical three-block-long hill in the LAST MILE. I was really tempted to stop at the base and take a picture (alas, no camera). I'm sure it would have been amusing if someone had got a picture of my face--sheer terror, with a side of annoyance. However, I ran the whole way up, maintaining most of the rhythm that I had gotten into, and finished in 1:09:46. Slower than I hoped for, but it'll do (HILLS!!!). I even managed a negative split between the first and second half of the race. I then went shopping with a friend, which I regretted somewhat because my knees really started hurting. Alas, the pain of fashion.

Schlotzsky's Bun Run 5K (5/2/10):

 Oh look! Another bad photo! Though, admittedly, less bad than the previous one.

I headed down to Lady Bird Lake this morning for the Bun Run (which I ran last year with my dad). My absolute favorite thing about this? The free bottle of hot sauce I got at the packet pick up! I may or may not have gotten my timing bib activated--somehow, they decided that the timed runners were going to start in the front, and they may have turned off the mats (I always like to start towards the back). Normally, they just start everyone at the same time and leave the mats on. Hmmm. However, I think I made it. Update: They just posted the results, and I made it across the mat in time. Woohoo! Started out at a decent pace, didn't make any water stops, and picked it up a bit on the second half. My legs were feeling a little heavy, but that's probably because I was an uber-slacker this week. ;) Finished with a PR of 31:59. I'll take it! My spirits were dampened a little when I returned to find a Big Red exploded on my car (who does that?!?), but I got it washed, and also treated my self to a breakfast taco (or two...).

My March 5K was rescheduled to 5/16, but I don't think I'm going to do it; a couple of my friends are doing a duathlon the same morning, so I figured I go watch them. I'm thinking of doing a 5K next Saturday, but that'll probably be a last-minute decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment