Saturday, February 6, 2010

I did it again...

...ran another half-marathon, that is!

Almost two weeks ago, on January 24 (the day before my birthday), I ran the 3M Half Marathon. Based on my first half-marathon experience, I was a bit dubious about the whole thing, but I absolutely had a blast! I had been chewing on the idea of an early-2010 half for a while, even before RNRSA. It was down to 3M or the more popular, and more expensive, Austin Half Marathon. It finally came down to cost--3M was $30 cheaper. And it didn't hurt that it boasts a mostly downhill course. So I signed up on New Year's Eve (before the price increased) and got down to some quick training. I got in about 3-4 long runs before the big day, and hoped for the best.

Race day dawned super-windy! So windy, in fact, that the vast majority of the road barricades blew over and the start of the race was delayed for almost an hour while APD reset them all. I must say, I was quite grumpy huddled at the starting line in the 45-degree-with-wind-gusts-up-to-30-mph conditions. But once we got going, it wasn't so bad. I maintained a decent pace for most of the race, and only walked through the water stations. My (infamous) right knee started acting up around mile 5-6, but settled down around mile 10. I took a GU around mile 8, and that definitely helped power me up the one significant uphill section of the race. On the final stretch, I saw a couple of my friends who live in the area, and that was a nice boost. And then...I finished, with an almost 30-minute PR over RNRSA! I think two things can account for that: 1) It wasn't my first long race, so I knew what to expect, in terms of fatigue and nutrition, and 2) the weather was significantly different for the two races. While the balmy, still weather in November drained the life out of me, the chilly winter breeze of January definitely helped push me along, or allowed me to push myself along. Something to remember for future races (including this one, which I hope to do again next year!). After the finish, I grabbed some fruit, got my drop bag, and hopped on a bus to go back to my car. Later in the day, my stomach acted up a bit, but I guess that was just delayed-onset of nerves, or some such business. My friend took me out for pizza later, and then I vegged for the rest of the day.

No time for rest the next day! I worked a textbook-lending event at a local community college library for 10 hours. I was kinda stiff in the beginning, but I think all the moving around, and reaching, and stooping for books really helped me loosen up. In fact I think I would have been much more sore and stiff had I not had to move around so much. That evening, my friends took me out for Thai food and ice cream for my birthday. Overall, I was quite pleased with the productive 48-hours that led into my 26th year of being. :)

For the spring, I've got some 5Ks and 10Ks planned, and I'd also like to work on building my running base to 15-25 miles-per-week. This week will make about 18.5 miles. Next Sunday, I'm running a 5K that's part of the Austin Marathon and Half Marathon. This way, I get to feel a bit of the excitement of the big races, but don't have to put too much wear and tear on me olde body, and I can also make it to work by noon. ;)

If you're in the wicked snow storm right now...become one with the treadmill. If you're in Texas right now, enjoy this beautiful weekend! I hear the upcoming week's supposed to be another wet one...

No comments:

Post a Comment